Monday 26 October 2015

Interview with Saeeda Begum by Mahira majid

UN-Edited
INTERVIEW  WITH SAEEDA BEGUM
BY MAHIRA MAJID ALI
ROLL NO. 2K14/ MC / 155

If you fall, get back up. If you stumble, regain your balance. never give up.

Saeeda Begum, an unmarried lady, lives in Hyderabad, Sindh but originally belongs to Sialkot, Punjab. She did her bachelors, as well as masters from University of Sindh, Jamshoro, then went to Jinnah Law College and completed her L.L.B. Formerly, she was a high school teacher, but she left that profession and joined banking field. Now, she is Vice President (Manager) in National Bank of Pakistan (NBP), Regional Headquarter, Fatimah Jinnah Road Branch, Hyderabad.

Q. Mostly girls select medical field and want to become a doctor, why have you chosen banking?
Ans. It is true that many girls select medical field, but there were two reasons due to which I selected banking. First, I, personally was not interested in medical field and secondly, my father belonged to this profession, I was very much attached with my father and after his death, I got emotionally attached with him and his profession that’s why, I selected banking.

Q. Since you joined NBP, what changes have been made in this bank? What are your personal observations and opinions regarding those changes?
Ans. I joined NBP as officer grade 1 (OGI). At that time, whole atmosphere was conservative. In the staff of seventy members, we were just 7 female members of counting. Attitude of male co-workers was really humiliating. It was considered that women are hired just to add colour to the office environment. They wanted females to stay isolated. They never let us communicate with each other. Narrow mind-ness, scandalizing, jealousy, negative perceptions, even personal harassment was on its peak. In the beginning, I felt alone and it was quite difficult for me to survive in that atmosphere but, then I altered my thoughts. I worked with confidence and communicated with other staff members neglecting their harsh attitude. I did not allowed those negativities to discourage me anymore or to become hindrance on my way. I suffered a lot, but worked hard and never allowed society to break me. There was a lowest ratio of females in the bank when I joined, afterwards higher authorities introduced an incentive promotion, in which 10% of females were hired as Bank Manager (Vice President). That step brought a positive change in the environment of bank, female ratio was also increased.
Now, there are many female employees, working in this bank. There is not any gender discrimination and everyone is equal. Only skills, efforts, responsibilities and working condition of employees can make them superior to one another.

Q. Who is your inspiration?
Ans. My sole inspiration is my father. I am proud of my father’s services in banking industry. He worked with loyalty, honesty, diligence and dedication throughout his life.

Q. Being a single woman, don’t you think that it is quite difficult to live in a gender biased society? What a woman need to do?
Ans. No doubt, being a single woman, surviving in a gender biased society is like tough journey but it is not impossible. I think that, I am strong enough to live and enjoy my life without depending on others. There were so many problems, but I compete against those problems with constancy and perseverance. Allah has given us a clear message through example of Prophet Mohammad (P.B.U.H), where his focus of love was kept toward his daughter, Fatima (R.A). It is the divine message to His people. Through this strong example, we can easily assume that female’s importance is equal in a society as male hold it.
Women need to be self-confident and should keep herself up to date with the latest happenings in the world of technology. The internet has now solved the problem of limited opportunities, as everyone can access to the world of knowledge and information. So, women should keep surfing the internet to increase their knowledge. Good communication skill is also a necessity, it helps in building social network. Another most important thing is to maintain balance in work and personal life. Also there is a need to educate men and tell them to respect other women like they respect women in their family. They should show flexibility in their attitude and should accept that women can perform even better than them.


Q. What are the basic tasks of a good manager?
Ans. A good manager is like a role model for whole staff. He should work in a way that the staff can act like him. He should treat whole staff in a frank manner so that, they can share their problems with him without any hesitation. He should know the capacity and capability of employee to whom he is assigning any task. He should be aware of departmental affairs and should have an ability to make a team. Leadership should be done in a lay-zone. Manager should know his target and plan in such a way that he can achieve or hit that target.

Q. What attributes are required for an employee, working in a bank or company?
Ans. An employee must have to prove himself by his punctuality, keen desire and interest in quality of work, because, what matters is your work, not your face.  Institutions may die, but your services will remain forever. Employee should be self-motivated and prove himself as a weakness of company.

Q. What you look for, when recruiting personnel?
Ans. Honest, hardworking, team players with excellent interpersonal skills, knowledge, strong analytical and problem solving skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills are the fundamentals of any personnel.

Q. National bank is a largest commercial bank, share your views? What benefits are given to the employees?
Ans. No doubt, it is a largest commercial bank. It is on the top of the banking industry. After the incentive promotion of females, I was one of those, who were selected as vice president (manager). Alhamdulillah, I am obtaining great costumer services and enjoying a reputable position.
Here, employees receive Comprehensive Medical Coverage for parents, spouse and children. Health and Care Insurance, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance and a lot more. National Bank of Pakistan is providing many perks & benefits other than health and medication insurance to the employees like, Pensions, Stock Options or Equity Retirement Plan, Employee Discount and Assistance Program, Gym Membership, Company Car. National bank of Pakistan is also supporting them professionally, by giving Job Trainings & Tuition Apprenticeship Programs etc.

Q. Have you ever been disappointed or discouraged?
Ans. Disappointment is inevitable. But to become discouraged, there's a choice I make. God would never discourage me. He would always point me to himself to trust him. Therefore, my discouragement is from devil. As you go through the emotions that we have, hostility, bitterness is not from God, all of these are attacks from devil. I was disappointed several times. During my first two years as a manager, I faced a lot of hurdles. Most annoying moment was, when I was transferred to Wapda Colony Branch, without any proper reason, when I asked reason behind my transfer, authorities replied in one word, Intercede. I was completely speechless at that time. I got transfer letters many times without any appropriate reason. But, I never became weak or hopeless. In life, many things don’t go according to your plan. If you fall, get back up. If you stumble, regain your balance. I have done the same and proved myself in those circumstances by goodwill, faith and trust on God.

Q. Your achievements till now? Or any proud moment of your life?
Ans. Yes, I received many cash awards. I got continuous cash awards for six years. Most proud moment for me was, when I detected four frauds, rough and pervert working of staff in just one month and due to this reason, bank gave me a cash award of 280 lacs. I also raised the deposit from 13 crores to 49 crores and got great appreciation from authorities. Now, whenever the administration transfer me for couple of months in any branch or department they have just a single reason, Saeeda is a detector, she will find out corruption and peculators of that branch. I just smile, feel pleasure and proud when listen these words.

Q. According to you, what qualities are essential for a woman, joining banking field?
Ans. Dignity, self-confidence, sense of purpose, self-respect, loyalty, willingness to work and humility to learn are basic qualities, not just for a woman, but also for a man. A woman should be aware of her limits and basic rights. She should be brave enough to face any challenge with harmony.

Q. What are your hobbies?
Ans. Cooking and reading books. Every Sunday, I spent my time in kitchen trying something new. Other than that, I have a huge collection of books, consisting Biographies, Islamic books, novels and poetry. Shahab Nama by Qudrat Ullah Shahab impressed me a lot. Umera Ahmed’s Pir e Kamil is my favourite novel.

Q. Any tips, through which we can enhance development of country?
Ans. Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world. About 52% of the total population of our country is consist of females. A single educated woman can educate whole society. Literacy rate is lower in Sindh, as compared to Punjab. Other than that, proper planning, accountability, implementation of law and good governance are very much necessary ingredients through which we can make our country a peaceful land and can enhance its development.

2 comments:

  1. adeem Beg is working since seventeen year compelling arrangements job offering into little and broad Pharmaceutical, Biotechnology associations and Academic foundations

    • Successfully Managed, made and surpassed the system for achievement consistently

    Managed diverse item offerings including capital equipment (Plate perusers and Robotic Lab structures), programming, reagents and complex organizations (toxicology and prosperity testing).

    ReplyDelete